Basic-Special combos are sequences of attacks composed of a light or heavy basic attack combo that allows you to follow up with a Special Attack that cannot be blocked, when most of the cases this will cause the special to miss. This does not include the passives of Green Arrow/Arrow or Martian Manhunter, and should not be confused with Unblockable attacks (those will break and negate blocks, while opponents are unable to block at all against these).
At one point, a hidden update made it impossible to use specials at all while your opponent is knocked down. After much player complaint, it appears that some of them have been reinstated.
The effectiveness this brings to Wonder Woman/Red Son and Superman/Red Son contributed to their popularity. Red Son Superman was the only character known who can make both of his specials unblockable this way, until later joined by various Batmen (Batman/Dawn of Justice, Batman/Flashpoint, Batman/Arkham Knight , and Batman/Gaslight).
Usually, specials that can be used this way have fairly fast starting animations and the character's heavy combo does not knock down/back the opponent too far.
Most combos can be performed after a heavy combo. Almost all characters’ Specials cannot be used at all while your opponent is knocked down by light basic attacks. However, in the recent updates of the game, it’s a special case with Deadshot/Arkham Origins who is the ONLY character in the game who can chain a Special from BOTH his basic attacks, which is is his SP1, “Target Acquired”. However this cannot be done by Deadshot/Suicide Squad.
- Special 1 (chained from Light Combo): Deadshot/Arkham Origins
- Special 1 (chained from Heavy Combo): Wonder Woman (all versions except Dawn of Justice), Superman (all versions except Superman/Dawn of Justice, Superman/Injustice 2, Superman/Blackest Night and Superman/New 52), **Batman/Dawn of Justice, **Batman/Flashpoint, Batman/Arkham Knight , **Batman/Gaslight, Batgirl/Cassandra Cain, Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad, Lobo (all versions) and Doomsday (all versions).
- Darkseid/Prime: When the opponent isn't near the other end of arena, the 2nd hit doesn't connect (or the 3rd hit, but rarely) - otherwise, all hits connect.
- Special 2 (chained from Light Combo): Deadshot/Arkham Origins
- Special 2 (chained from Heavy Combo): Superman/Red Son, Shazam, Static, Killer Frost/Prime, Lobo/Prime, Nightwing/Regime, Sinestro/Regime, Deathstroke/Prime, Deathstroke/Arkham Origins, **Batman/Arkham Origins, **Batman/Red Son, **Batman/Dawn of Justice, **Batman/Flashpoint, Batman/Arkham Knight, **Batman/Gaslight, Catwoman/Regime, Catwoman/Batman Returns, Catwoman/Ame-Comi, Scorpion/Mortal Kombat, Scorpion/Mortal Kombat X, Doomsday/Blackest Night, Raven/Teen Titans, Aquaman/Injustice 2, Hawkgirl/Earth 2, Green Arrow/Rebirth, Superman/New 52, Green Lantern/Jessica Cruz Rebirth and Deadshot/Arkham Origins.
- Cyborg/Prime: When Cyborg hasn’t sent the opponent yet to the far end of the battle arena, ONLY THE 1ST HIT can be chained from the heavy combo - otherwise (when the opponent is already sent to the far end of the arena), ALL HITS will chain.
- Green Lantern/Prime: There is a 50% chance that ALL HITS will be chained from the heavy combo, and a 50% chance that ONLY THE 1ST OR 2ND HIT will be chained.
- Bane/Regime: Bane’s whole SP2 can be fully chained from his heavy basic attacks ONLY IF he has sent the opponent to the far end of battle arena.
- Bane/Luchador: The same case with Regime Bane.
- Wonder Woman/Dawn of Justice: Only the 1st hit can be chained from his heavy combo. It is still being confirmed if her whole Special or at least the 1st 2 hits can be chained when Wonder Woman has sent the opponent to the far end of the arena.
- Batman/Batman Ninja: Only the 1st 2 hits - the stunning smoke bomb part - can be chained from Batman’s heavy combo.
Previously, it is possible to chain Superman/Red Son's special 2, Static's special 1, Doomsday/Prime's special 2, Sinestro's special 1 and Batgirl/Cassandra Cain's special 1 into their light basic attack combos (Batgirl, Doomsday, and Superman can still chain their SP1s into their heavy attacks).
Static has a special 1, and Hawkgirl/Blackest Night, Raven/Rebirth and Darkseid/Apokolips have special 2s that can be comboed immediately after tapping light attack three times - without using the Combo ender.
**NOTE: As of Patch 2.21, ALL versions of Batman (except Batman/Arkham Knight) have a heavy basic combo that knocks back the opponent, not just staggering them back. From this, these versions of Batman stated in this article CANNOT chain their heavy combo anymore into their Specials - except Batman/Arkham Knight.