Currently Breakthrough Eligible
- Silver characters
- Requirements: N/A
In order to enter, ALL characters on the team must be at least Elite 7 and Level 50 or higher, and all of them must be a specific rarity (Bronze, Silver, Gold) required at the time. Additionally, if the rarity is gold, at least one of them must be one of the required characters (e.g. Superman or Wonder Woman), similar to battle 2, 4 or 5 for Challenge Mode.
The cost of entry is 10 Energy, which pays for all 3 matches.
Only winning a Breakthrough Mode puts it on cooldown, losing does not; while it has a cycle of 24 hours, but unlike Survivor Mode, it resets at 00:00 GMT regardless of when you complete it. However, there is no way to pay to reset the cooldown. Additionally, it appears the Breakthrough eligibility changes out of sync from that, instead changing at midnight according to the device's timezone.
|1||The Joker Unhinged/Suicide Squad|
Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad
Solomon Grundy/Earth 2
The Flash/Reverse Flash
The enemies are of higher stats than the cards show (both the supposed and true stats will scale according to your cards' stats). A test on the Bronze Breakthrough event has The Joker, Harley Quinn and Deadshot shown with 3510, 3770 and 3250 health, but The Ibistick's burn suggests their true health is 6550, 7050 and 6050 respectively.
Throughout the battle against Ares, the final boss, will activate "Rage!" at certain health thresholds, first disabling block (which deals moderate damage, unaffected by Invulnerability), and then unless the player defends by, similar to getting a 200% on some special attacks, tapping as the bar passes through the center of a target, the character will be instantly knocked out, ignoring resurrection effects such as Fourth World Set or Invulnerability. During this ability, the character may not tag out or use specials, and if successfully defended, the character will automatically block, and his rage will do 6 damage (further reducible with block gear). This will trigger block passives, such as Wonder Woman/Prime's passive. Both starting his rage and getting it blocked will grant power to Ares' opponent as if they are hit with a basic attack.
As a boss card, the abilities' names are not displayed when Ares uses them. He has Weapons of War as his s1 similar to Ares/Prime, but also has a different special 1 (firing red bursts of energy). He has God Smack as his s2 as well, which is also Unblockable, as well as a different, blockable s2 in which he stamps his foot causing a sword to impale his opponent from below, and then slash them overhead with another sword.
Ares also has the unusual ability to sometimes recover quickly after being knocked back or down, and occasionally ignores stuns. This seems to be active when a health threshold for his rage is reached and is a warning that he is about to use his instant KO.
Bronze and Silver Tier
While the team has strong synergy, their stats are relatively low and should not be a big threat. Power drain however is still useful to prevent them from using specials especially when block may be disabled by Deadshot's passive and retain health for later levels.
As always, a strong SP2 or super (unless with a "nuke" SP1-build such as with Bane/Luchador) is advisable to deal with Raven. Earth-2 Solomon Grundy can disable a piece of gear for the match, so be wary when relying on one. And as for going against Reverse Flash, try as much as possible not to use any special(s) on him, but rather use any characters that are effective in utilizing their basic attacks (such as Batman/Flashpoint and other Flashpoint characters teamed with him).
As Ares only rages as his health depletes, and lots of power is generated by taking basic attacks, it is advisable to allow him to keep hitting your team with basics until you are almost at full power, and then take him down quickly.
After winning the battle you can unlock one selected character for further advancement to Elite X.
Each Breakthough only unlocks one elite tier. Breakthough must be applied on a card three separate times for it to be able to reach Elite X.
There are reports that sometime you can apply Breakthrough not just to any eligible characters on the team, but characters who are of Elite VIII or higher as well, or that all characters on the team unlocked the ability to gain XP towards level 60 even if they aren't chosen.
- The final boss of this mode is simply named "Ares", but is visually very different from Ares/Prime. He mostly resembles Ares/Insurgency (especially with his helmet's shape and the way the cape is attached), a character who has been in the game's files for a very long time yet never released, but is less armoured, and shows orange energy veins on his chest.
- Sometimes when Ares rages twice in rapid succession, it is possible to fail the first defend, but not get disintegrated as the second defend starts immediately before that could happen.
- This is the first new mode added since Survivor Mode in the 2.6 update.
- This mode also allowed for the first time a character to surpass the health stat of the then-final boss of Standard Battle, Batman/Arkham Origins, at 251K without using augments (who has since been surpassed by the Superman/Blackest Night boss in area 8. This is achievable by Eliting Superman/Injustice 2 to E10 and Level 60, and then combining him with health-boosting Gear and teammates.
- While initially a character eligible for promotion, Deadshot/Suicide Squad and Deadshot/Arkham Origins cannot be promoted beyond EV7 anymore as Deadshot is never listed as an eligible Gold Card.
|Standard • Challenge • Online • Survivor • Breakthrough|