There is a subtle difference between an unblockable attack and a block breaking attack. The former has a wider definition; it includes unblockable moves used against an opponent who wasn't blocking in the first place. This is significant because a block breaking attack cannot crit (this is easily seen on Deathstroke/Arkham Origins's infamous special 1) (although it can still apply other gear effects, such as power drain, as normal) and can be affected by reflect special. Additionally, while Static's passive does not work against a block breaking special, Superman/Godfall's passive does work against a block breaking basic attack.
Previously, all inherent unblockable attacks are penalized by having their damage reduced by 50%. While the likes of Ares/Prime's God Smack are unblockable, they are technically a part of their passives and will be disabled in Dead Zone. Killer Frost/Prime's Black Ice is the first special to be at least partially unblockable without penalty and with no association to passives.
Unblockable attacks include: Batman/Blackest Night grants him and all fellow Blackest Night characters an unblockable chance
- Cassandra Cain Batgirl has an unblockable tag-in attack.
- Deathstroke/Arkham Origins's Point Blank is unblockable if 200% is reached.
- Doomsday, Martian Manhunter, Nightwing, Solomon Grundy and The Flash have access to a percentage chance of unblockable basic attacks with their signature gear; The Arkham Knight's Custom Rifle uniquely offers a chance of unblockable basic attacks to any character, but the chance is much lower to compensate.
- The Flash/Metahuman's basic attacks have a chance to be unblockable and crit during his passive.
- Superman/Regime's Heat Vision.
- All versions of Harley Quinn have an unblockable bomb as one of the three possible items from her Bag-o-Tricks (four in the case of Harley Quinn/Suicide Squad).
- Doomsday/Regime's next special is unblockable upon knocking out an enemy.
- Bane/Luchador's chance to stun upon tag in.
- Harley Quinn/Arkham gives all Arkham characters a 50% unblockable chance on every hit of their special 2.
- Ares/Prime's God Smack.
- Killer Frost/Prime's Black Ice is partially unblockable; only the third hit of the starting frozen wind is unblockable.
- Superman/Godfall's Frozen Delivery is partially unblockable; the first two punches can be blocked as normal.
- Batman/Red Son gives all Red Son characters an unblockable chance on their special 1.
- Deadshot offers all other Suicide Squad teammates a chance for their specials to be unblockable.
There are some specials that are not meant to be unblockable, but are glitched to occasionally cause you to randomly stop blocking.
- During the 2.10 update, a bug prevented all unblockable attacks from working. Block breaking specials did not work, despite that full damage is still dealt. When such an attack was blocked, any attack used against the block-breaker user themselves would become a block breaker, but the damage is still halved for this kind of glitched block breakers. Partially block breaking specials (Superman/Godfall and Killer Frost/Prime's s2s) cannot break block either, but do not cause them to be unable to block hits. Specials that have a change to break block on each hit (from Harley Quinn/Arkham's passive) functions like a normal block breaker attack. This issue was resolved in the 2.10.1 update.